Medical Oxygen Repair is very pleased to announce that Dr. A Wayne Evans is the first physician in Ontario to receive the DRCPSC specialty credential for Hyperbaric Medicine – Clinical Stream. Dr. Evans has been , and continues as the medical Director at MO2R since its creation in 2015.
The distinctive honour of being first in Ontario has been granted under the jurisdiction of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and acknowledges Dr Evans practices at the highest level of professionalism and quality assurance in the area of Hyperbaric Medicine. Dr. Evans has played a leadership role in the development of the training and accreditation requirement and process which has culminated in this new professional accreditation, and we are very pleased that he has received this honour.
Always a thought leader in the academic advancements of the field, Dr Evans has often been quoted as saying “we have barely begun to scratch the surface on how this can help humanity. Watch carefully as the next 10 years unfolds the secrets hidden in this elegant tool with a growing range of specific applications to assist in the management help a myriad of disease processes."
Congratulations Dr. Evans!
- The journey commenced in 2012 with DR Evans and other founding directors of the Canadian Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine Association (CUHMA) made a submission to the Royal College. It identified how this evolving field of medicine had grown and matured to the point that it needed a clearly defined place to continue to flourish along side medical and surgical specialists within the Canadian health care system.
- Dr Wayne Evans was selected to serve as a member of the Specialty Committee on Hyperbaric Medicine, since its inception in 2012.
- In 2013, a select group of the founding directors of CUHMA, were invited to form the Hyperbaric Working Group to develop the training and accreditation requirements and process.
- The Royal College established the Hyperbaric Medicine Area of Focused Competency (AFC) certification in 2017, with Dr. Evans as a member of the initial AFC Committee.
- The lengthy process to shape the field of Hyperbaric Medicine into a viable component of the Royal College jurisdiction has been arduous, however has resulted in the first in the country accredited training program now offered through the University of Toronto.
- Inaugural candidates are anticipated to graduate in 2022
We look forward to the distribution of this highly prized honour to a limited number of qualified physicians who will ensure that their hyperbaric practices operated at the highest level of professionalism and quality assurance.
Share this Post